<< Back


32 West 40th Street, Application for replacement of windows

WHEREAS, 32 West 40th Street, is an individual landmark, designated in 2011, also known as The Engineers Club, a twelve -story Renaissance Revival Style building, located across the street from Bryant Park, just off Fifth Avenue; and

WHEREAS, The building, the upper floors of which are now a residential coop, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 30, 2007; and

WHEREAS, The owners have applied to LPC to change the two historic window openings now filled by non-historic fixed metal grills at the top and single pane of glass below with new single pane windows, by removing the metal grills; and

WHEREAS, The 1905-1907 era building’s original first-floor windows, one-over-one, double-hung with arched upper sashes received aluminum replacements about 1940; and

WHEREAS, A historic and early 20th Century photo clearly shows one-over-one, double-hung sash windows; and 

WHEREAS, The proposed replacement windows are a solid, fixed pane of glass suitable for a retail store, but not in keeping with the character and design of the building constructed as a private club; and

WHEREAS, The windows are treated with a standard factory finish and no effort was made to identify a historically appropriate color; therefore, be it

RESOLVED, Community Board Five recommends denial of the application for the installation of new replacement windows on 32 West 40th Street.

Sign Up For Our Newsletter