1 West 54th Street, The University Club, application for renovation of the main entrance and canopy
WHEREAS, The University Club, a private social club located at 1 West 54th Street, is an Italian Renaissance palazzo-style structure built by famed architectural firm McKim, Mead and White in 1900, and was designated an individual NYC Landmark in 1967; and
WHEREAS, The applicant is requesting approval to replace an existing fabric awning canopy (with supports anchored into the sidewalk) at the entrance to the imposing building with a bronze-framed and glass, projecting, curved canopy, measuring 10' 4" X 15'; and
WHEREAS, The new entrance design will contain other elements including new up and down lights, a new transom, new bronze and glass doors and structural struts to support the canopy; and
WHEREAS, The re-design is deemed elegant and respectful of the Landmark, significantly enhancing the visual impact of the grand arched entrance way; and
WHEREAS, The presentation was considered outstanding, and included examples of many other NYC Landmarks (some in CB 5) that have had the benefit of new glass canopies which are harmonious with their historical and architectural design, as this promises to be; therefore, be it
RESOLVED, Community Board Five recommends approval of the Application of the University Club, 1 West 54th Street, for renovation of the main entrance including a new bronze and glass canopy.
The above resolution passed by a vote of 36 in favor; 0 opposed; 1 abstaining.