<< Back


32 West 40th Street, Application for replacement of windows

At the scheduled monthly meeting of Community Board Five on Thursday, October 11, 2012, the Board passed the following resolution by a vote of 38 in favor; 1 opposed; 1 abstaining:

WHEREAS, 32 West 40th Street, is an individual landmark, designated in 2011, also known as The Engineers Club, a twelve -story Renaissance Revival Style building, located across the street from Bryant Park, just off Fifth Avenue; and

WHEREAS, The building, the upper floors of which are now a residential coop, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 30, 2007; and

WHEREAS, The owners have applied to LPC to change the two historic window openings now filled by non-historic fixed metal grills at the top and single pane of glass below with new single pane windows, by removing the metal grills; and

WHEREAS, The 1905-1907 era building's original first-floor windows, one-over-one, double-hung with arched upper sashes received aluminum replacements about 1940; and

WHEREAS, A historic and early 20th Century photo clearly shows one-over-one, double-hung sash windows; and 

WHEREAS, The proposed replacement windows are a solid, fixed pane of glass suitable for a retail store, but not in keeping with the character and design of the building constructed as a private club; and

WHEREAS, The windows are treated with a standard factory finish and no effort was made to identify a historically appropriate color; therefore, be it

RESOLVED, Community Board Five recommends denial of the application for the installation of new replacement windows on 32 West 40th Street.

Sign Up For Our Newsletter