30-32 West 44th St. – former Yale Club, now Penn Club, proposed designation
WHEREAS, The Penn Club (formerly the Yale Club), located at 30-32 West 44th Street (between 5th & 6th Avenues), was completed in 1901 by the architects Tracy & Swartwout (formerly employees of McKim, Mead & White); and
WHEREAS, The Club was one of the first high-rise, vertical clubhouses in New York City and is located on the south side of what was known as “clubhouse row,” including the Harvard, New York Yacht and City Clubs and the Bar Association; and
WHEREAS, The building, a Neo-Georgian brick and limestone building, is faced with mostly red brick and includes a 50 foot wide, tripartite façade that features a double height rusticated limestone base, projecting balconies, contrasting keystones and an oversized arch above the projecting cornice; and
WHEREAS, Although the Yale Club moved two blocks away to Vanderbilt Avenue in 1915, the building’s history includes ownership by the fraternal organization Delta Kappa Epsilon from 1916-1924, the Army Navy Club from 1925-1933 and has, since 1994, housed the Penn Club; and
WHEREAS, The architects are also known for their designs of the Missouri State Capital and the Yale Art Gallery; therefore be it
RESOLVED, That Community Board 5 recommends approval of Landmark designation for the Penn Club (formerly the Yale Club) at 30-32 West 44th Street, recognizing its distinguished position in clubhouse row and its architectural and historical distinction from the period at the beginning of the 20th century.
The above resolution passed by a vote of 40 in favor; 0 opposed; 1 abstaining.