155 5th Avenue (bet. East 21st and 22nd Streets), application to remove the existing non-historic storefront and side doors and replace with new wood storefront and side doors.
WHEREAS; The building known as 155 5th Avenue, between E. 21st St. and E. 22nd St., is an individual landmark located in the Ladies Mile Historic District, and is a loft and store building, originally the first headquarters of the publishers, Charles Scribner's Sons, designed by the architect, Ernest Flagg, built in 1894; and
WHEREAS, The façade at the ground floor level is partly non-original building construction, having been altered through the years; and
WHEREAS, The last tenant, United Synagogues of America, has vacated the building and the owner is preparing the building for extensive restoration reflecting the historic period at the time of construction; and
WHEREAS, The applicant intends to restore the double doors for the ground floor retail space and proposes to restore the painted wood side doors and painted fenestration along with other building elements; and
WHEREAS, The applicant also proposes to install discreet downlights at the portico and will keep small numerals for the street address; and
WHEREAS, Overall, the proposed changes are keeping within the style and the character of this part of lower Fifth Avenue and the Ladies Mile Historic District, and a distinct improvement over the existing condition of the building; therefore, be it
RESOLVED, Community Board Five recommends approval of the application to install the new doorway, façade, side doors and other details proposed by the applicant at 155 Fifth Avenue.
The above resolution passed by a vote of 29 in favor; 0 opposed; 1 abstaining.