881 Seventh Avenue, application for the manufacturing and installation of two poster boxes on the façade at 56th Street
WHEREAS, The building located at 881 Seventh Avenue between West 56th and West 57th Streets, known as Carnegie Hall, is a renowned Renaissance Revival concert and studio space, designed by the architect William B. Tuthill with consultation of Henry J. Hardenbergh, Richard Morris Hunt and Dankmar Adler, constructed in three phases between 1889 and 1897; and
WHEREAS, Carnegie Hall has been designated by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission as an individual landmark, and has also been designated as a National Historic Landmark; and
WHEREAS, The application is for the manufacture and installation of two new poster boxes on the West 56th Street façade; and
WHEREAS, For the design of the two new poster boxes the applicant has retained Polshek and Partners, whom were the architects for the building’s reconfigurations and restorations performed in 1986 and through the 1990’s; and
WHEREAS, The design of the two new poster boxes are intended as replications of the four existing poster boxes, and are of the same metal and glass materials used in the manufacture of the original boxes currently installed at the rear side of the façade adjacent to the corner of West 56th Street, and the seven existing poster boxes that are installed on the Seventh Avenue side of the façade are deemed historically important and sympathetic to the original design; therefore be it
RESOLVED, That Community Board Five recommends approval of the application for the manufacture and installation of two new poster boxes on the West 56th Street façade.
The above resolution passed with a vote of 31 in favor, 0 opposed, 1 abstention.