390 Fifth Avenue (also known as 386-390 Fifth Avenue and 2-6 West 36th Street) Application for a certificate of appropriateness for the removal and the replacement of a new storefront
WHEREAS, 390 Fifth Avenue, known as the Gorham Building, is a magnificent Renaissance Revival style palazzo, designed by the noted architect Stanford White and constructed in 1904-05; and
WHEREAS, The marble arcade at the base on both the Fifth Avenue façade and eastern most portion of West 36th Street were removed prior to designation, and the metal, stucco and glass storefront infill and louvers are located throughout the building’s base; and
WHEREAS, The applicant, City Sports, wants to remove the existing storefront on the left side of the building’s commercial ground floor space and replace it with an enlarged storefront that matches the right side of the commercial ground floor space; and
WHEREAS, Since the applicant’s first proposal was denied by the Landmarks Committee of Community Board Five, the applicant changed the proposal so that it is now harmonious to and matches the right storefront and is more pleasing than the first proposal; therefore be it
RESOLVED, That Community Board Five recommends approval of the application for 390 Fifth Avenue for the removal and replacement of a new storefront.
The above resolution passed with a vote of 31 in favor, 0 opposed, 1 abstention.